Do you need an experienced copyeditor and proofreader to work on a non-fiction book? Perhaps you’re looking for a fluent French speaker who understands French culture and can pick up any inconsistencies. Or maybe you need someone who has edited hundreds of recipes and is a keen cook who understands cooking terms and techniques. Or someone with wide general knowledge and a genuine interest in lifestyle topics, who is used to working to tight publishing deadlines. Contact me to see how I can help.
- Writing photo captions
- Editing (using mark-up symbols on hard copy; tracking changes in Word)
- Proofreading blind or against copy (using mark-up symbols on hard copy; annotating PDFs; making changes directly in InDesign)
- Comprehensive knowledge of grammar and punctuation
- Excellent eye for detail and picking up errors
- Ability to follow a style guide or create one for a specific publication
- Wide general knowledge, inquisitive and enjoys fact-checking
- Ability to work to tight print deadlines
- An understanding of good design
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign
- Food and wine, including recipes, food production and cooking techniques
- Home interiors and gardens
- Travel and tourism
- Health and wellbeing
- The countryside, sustainability, nature and the environment
- French language and culture
I love working on food, travel and lifestyle publications. Editing and proofreading for trade non-fiction combines my love of the art de vivre (art of living) with my passion for good grammar, spelling and the written word.
I have copyedited and proofread lifestyle books for trade non-fiction publishers such as Plum – Pan Macmillan, Thames & Hudson Australia and Smudge Publishing.
One of my proudest achievements was subediting and proofreading Cooking with Ascot Vale Primary School – a cookbook filled with recipes from the Ascot Vale community.
For the past decade I have worked as a freelance magazine subeditor and proofreader. Firstly for Expat Living Publications in Singapore, where I subedited articles on a variety of topics, including food and beverages, travel, arts and culture, homes and interiors, health and wellbeing, children and education, and expat life in Singapore, for monthly and bi-monthly magazines and annual guides.
More recently I have been working for Provincial Living, a quarterly Australian lifestyle magazine for Francophiles and people who love the provincial way of life. This magazine is the perfect marriage of my knowledge of the French language and culture, my subediting and proofreading skills, and my interests in and knowledge of travel and tourism, food and wine, and the arts.
Before becoming an editor and proofreader, I worked in communications in a wide range of sectors, including retail, food and beverages, and health. Prior to that, one of my first jobs was working for an incoming tour operator in Ireland where I gained a good understanding of the Irish tourism industry and what makes a good itinerary.
I’ve been a Francophile since I first visited France at age 13 and I now speak fluent French and hold a Bachelor of Arts in French. Working and living in France for three years gave me a good understanding of French culture, too.
I’m a keen cook and began baking as a young girl. In my spare time I enjoy cooking from scratch, experimenting with new recipes, visiting farmers markets and cellar doors. I was blessed to have grown up in West Cork, Ireland, where there are many amazing food producers, and I’m now living in the foodie capital of Australia – Melbourne. Some of my best food-related memories include coming fourth in a Tate & Lyle gingerbread baking competition at age 16; doing a food writing workshop with Ruth Reichl, the former editor-in-chief of Gourmet; and taking a cooking class in Singapore with Irish cook Rachel Allen from Ballymaloe Cookery School.
- Editing General Non-Fiction, Lorna Hendry (2021)
- Editing Narrative Non-Fiction, IPEd (2019)
- Advanced Editing – Content and Collaboration, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2017)
- Magazine Writing and Editing, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2017)
- Freelance Writing for the Media, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2017)
- Creating Digital Content, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2017)
- Copyediting and Proofreading, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2016)
- Introduction to Editing Practice, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2016)
- Working with Text and Image, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2016)
- Writing Non-fiction – Research and Readership, RMIT Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing (2016)
- Introduction to Copyediting, Editors Victoria (2015)
- Travel Writing, Australian Writers’ Centre (2014)
- Food Writing Masterclass with Ruth Reichl, Melbourne Writers Festival (2014)
- Structural Editing of Non-fiction, National Book Development Council of Singapore (2012)
- Advanced Copyediting and Proofreading, National Book Development Council of Singapore (2012)
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro), ACE Training, Singapore (2011)
- Magazine Writing short course, RMIT (2005)
- Professional Member of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd)