Do you need an experienced editor and proofreader to work on marketing material for your business or product? Someone who can pick up grammatical and typographical errors before your content goes to print or is published online. Perhaps you have a guide or report that has been written by multiple people that needs editing for consistency and to ensure that it follows your organisation’s style guide. Or maybe you own a restaurant that has just created a new menu that needs proofreading or a recipe for your website that needs editing. Contact me to see how I can help.
- Style guide creation
- Newsletter production
- Rewriting content into plain English
- Sourcing images
- Ability to follow a company style guide or create one if required
- An understanding of good design
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience using WordPress, Kentico and Campaign Monitor
- Editing (using mark-up symbols on hard copy; tracking changes in Word; annotating PDFs)
- Proofreading blind or against copy (using mark-up symbols on hard copy; annotating PDFs; making changes directly in InDesign)
- Excellent eye for detail and picking up errors
- Comprehensive knowledge of grammar and punctuation
- Wide general knowledge, inquisitive and enjoys fact-checking
Publications I can help you with
- Articles, features and advertorials for magazines
- Digital media: blog posts and website copy
- Restaurant menus
- Company style guide
- Marketing/promotional material: brochures, leaflets, information kits, guides
- Corporate literature: annual reports, reports, case studies, fact sheets, manuals
I love editing and proofreading print and online publications for food, travel and lifestyle products and businesses. This combines my love of the art de vivre (art of living) with my passion for good grammar, spelling and the written word.
For the past decade I have worked as a freelance magazine subeditor and proofreader. Firstly for Expat Living Publications in Singapore, where I subedited and proofread monthly and bi-monthly lifestyle magazines and annual guides. More recently I have been working for Provincial Living, a quarterly Australian lifestyle magazine for Francophiles and people who love the provincial way of life. This magazine is the perfect marriage of my knowledge of the French language and culture, my subediting and proofreading skills, and my interests in and knowledge of travel and tourism, food and wine, and the arts.
I have also copyedited and proofread lifestyle books for trade non-fiction publishers such as Plum – Pan Macmillan, Thames & Hudson Australia and Smudge Publishing.
Before becoming an editor and proofreader, I worked in both in-house and consultancy roles in public relations, member communications, internal communications, corporate affairs, event management and sponsorship in a wide range of sectors, including retail, food and beverages, health, sports, shipping, logistics and marine services. I have also worked for one of France’s biggest magazine publishers and for an incoming tour operator in Ireland. In these roles I have produced newsletters and annual reports, edited and proofread travel itineraries, reports, media releases, EDMs, marketing material and advertorials.
- Professional Member of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd)